color break
    
k2 red telephone box
[< Previous]   [Contents]   [Next >]
How I made my K2 Telephone Box
Author: Les Kenny; Editor: Maree Anderson
Recommend

video

Step 4.2. Wood for the door and windows

I bought the following wood for the door and two windows:
● 13½ft (4m) of 1½" x 7¼" (180mm x 39m) cedar for the bottom rails
● 47ft (14m) of 1½" x 2 5/8" (65mm x 39mm) cedar for the top rails and side stiles.
● and 110ft (33m) of 1½" x ¾" (40mm x 18mm) cedar for the muntin bars.
I ripped the latter in half to make ¾" x ¾" (18mm x 18mm) muntin bars (to make up the grids).

Purchase this plan in downloadable PDF file for $5.00 here

The plans (68 pages) can be purchased online and immediately downloaded to your computer. Purchase here.

View all downloadable plans here

Cutting the side stiles
The side stiles are the vertical members of the door and windows.
Out of 1½" x 2 5/8" (65mm x 39mm) cedar, I cut 6 pieces @ 74¾" (1870mm) long. Two for each door/window unit.

Cutting the top rails
The top rail is the horizontal member at the top of the door/window.
Out of 1½" x 2 5/8" (65mm x 39mm) cedar I cut 3 pieces @ 21 5/8";" (540mm) long: one for each door/window unit.

Cutting the bottom rails
The bottom rail is the horizontal member at the bottom of the door/window.
Out of 1½" x 7½" (180mm x 39m) cedar, I cut 6 pieces @ 21 5/8";" (540mm) long: two for each door/window unit.
The bottom rail needed to be 13" (325mm) wide. To achieve that width I joined two pieces of 1½" x 7¼" (180mm x 39m) cedar together and cut off the excess to form 1 piece that was the required width.

Cutting the muntin bars
The muntin bars are the strips of wood that make up the grille (grid).
Out of ¾" x ¾" (18mm x 18mm) cedar, I cut 42 pieces @ 21 5/8";" (540mm) long and 24 pieces @ 59¼" (1480mm) long. the door frame for the K2 telephone kiosk
That was the amount for 6 grids, two for each door/window.

Step 4.3. Joining the stiles and rails

I cut the stiles and top and bottom rails. For the bottom rails I joined two pieces together and cut off the excess to achieve a width of 13" (325mm).
I then glued and nailed the side stiles to the top and bottom rails. I made up three units in all.

Recommend