Once the glue was dry, I lifted out the top grid (from each door/window), removed the plastic, and fixed decorative squares to the bottom rails.The squares were made out of ½" x ¾" (18mm x 12mm) cedar wood.
The squares were 21 5/8" (540mm) x 7" (175mm). They were positioned 2 3/8" (60mm) down from the grid.
Step 4.6. Painting the door and windows
At this stage the door, windows and grids had to be painted prior to fitting the acrylic sheet (plastic glass).With a craft knife and a chisel, I cleaned off all the excess hardened glue and then I gave everything a good sanding.
I gave the door, windows, and associated grids three coats of paint - an undercoat and two over coats.
For the undercoat I used a white two pot epoxy resin undercoat paint.
For the main coats I used a water based paint: I wanted something that would dry reasonably fast to shorten the time between final coats.
The red color was BS 539.