Of all the projects that I have made over the years, my red English Phone Booth created the most interest.
It was a project I thoroughly enjoyed building. Originally I was going to place it in the garden as a feature, and maybe use it to house a few garden implements or something. But, throughout the course of construction (which took a while as I only worked on it casually) it spurned far more interest, curiosity and comments from friends, visitors and passersby than any other project I had undertaken. My wife Jenny said, why not place it in the front yard against the house for all to see?
In fact why not make it a fully functional working red telephone box?
So I decided to go the whole hog, and have a working light and working telephone inside it.
My take on the K2 red telephone box.
I didn't want my K2 red telephone box to be an exact replica of the real version.
I wanted some lines to be accentuated so that a trained eye could pick up the intended differences, while it still being unmistakably a take-off of the K2 telephone box.
For starters, the original K2 booth was made out of cast iron, while mine is mostly wood.
The original K2 booth was 9ft 4in tall; mine is 8ft 7in tall. However, that's not a lot of difference in size - it's still a pretty big box.
Then there will be the subtle line changes that put my mark on it, while still giving it the distinct K2 flavor.
Come with me as I take you through a step-by-step account of how I made my take-off of the red British K2 Telephone Box. I'll share my methods and techniques, and add the occasional expert contribution, along with a bit of helpful reader input.
To a certain degree this is a live document because of the ability to access ongoing reader input.