Table of Contents
- 3Photos of construction part 1
- 4Photos of construction part 2
- 6Plans - Front, floor and footprint
- 7Plans - Base, floor, and wall layout
- 8Plans - Top and roof (millimetres)
- 9Plans - Top and roof (inches)
- 10Plans - The sign
- 11Plans - Details
- 12Plans - Fixed walls - metric
- 13Plans - Fixed wall - standard
- 14Plans - Wall/door - metric
- 15Plans - Wall/door - standard
- 16Materials overall
- 17Framing wood by section - metric
- 18Framing wood by section - standard
- 19Cutting list (frame)
- 20Step 1. Cut the frame pieces to length
- 21Step 2. Rip the relevant pieces to the required widths
- 22Step 3. Make the base
- 23Step 4. Make up the pillars
- 24Step 5. Assemble and stand the frames
- 25Step 6. Make the head (top section)
- 26Step 7. Make the walls
- 27Step 8. Install the walls, head, and door
- 28Step 9. Shape and fix the mullions
- 29Step 10. Shape and fix the decorative pillar top pieces
- 30Step 11. Paint time
- 31Step 12. Make the windows
- 32Step 13. Add the 'police call box' sign
- 33Step 14. Final touches (almost)
- 34Roof lamp Introduction
- 35Roof lamp Plans
- 36Sourcing the components
- 38The lamp container cap
- 39Fibreglassing the cap
- 40The lamp container base
- 41Threaded rod to the cap
- 42Assemble the lamp container
- 43Put in a light or two
- 44The lights go on
Step 6. Make the head (top section)
The head consists of the apex square (a small shaped block at the very top), the roof panels [K], and three square box frames ([F], [H], [J],) that can fit into one-another – [H] can fit into [F], and [J] can fit into [H].
How to make it: Angle-cut along the top of all the frame side pieces as per the angles given below, and also cut a 45° miter at the ends of each piece. The overall lengths are also given below.
Lower head side [F] 1280 mm (51¾”) OA (check on job, measure where it’s to go in the frame structure). Cut a 26.6° angle along the top.
Middle head side [H] 1210 OA (check, measure where it’s to go in the lower head square). Cut a 20° angle along top
Upper head side [J] 1140mm OA (check, measure where it’s to go in the middle head square). Cut an 11° angle on top
Make up the lower head square frame [F].
Make up the middle head square frame [H] and fit it in the lower head square [F].
Make up the upper head square frame [J] and fit it in the middle head square [H].
Cut and shape the apex square out of a block of wood approximately 150 mm (6″) square and 35 mm (1½”) thick. Shape it as per drawing below.
Fix a wood strip around the inside of the upper head square to sit the roof panels on. Refer to the pictures below.
Cut two roof panels 1070 mm (42¾”) long x 493 mm (19¾”) high with the sides angling in as shown in the drawing. Cut the sides and top so that they angle inwards 11° – ie., have the blade on your saw tilted 11° while you make the cut. (Check on job. Measure the actual required length along the bottom where the panel is to go and if necessary make adjustments).
Assemble two roof panels opposing one another with the bottoms sitting on the wood strips and the tops resting against the apex square. They will be self-supporting. Glue and fix the panels to the apex square with a couple of screws at each meeting. Pre-drill the screw holes through the roof panels and screw down into the apex square.
Measure the other two panels on site, specifically the length along the bottom, up the sides, and along the top. Cut and fix in place.