Whether you’re a novice woodworker, exploring it as a potential interest, or a professional carpenter with need for all the finest equipment, there are certain elements you can’t do without. Power tools are essential to working with wood, and it’s equally essential to make sure you’ve got quality machinery that will give you an upper hand against mistakes and mishaps.
That’s why, when it comes to your most essential tools, you want something that’s tried and true, right? You want a brand that specializes in making the necessities. And you want all your purchases to be those that will contribute the most to your projects.
So when you’re making your list of woodworking needs, a circular saw should definitely be near the top of that list. And if you’re more of a hobbyist taking on small projects, the SKILSAW SPT77WML-01 could be just the circular saw you’re needing.
Where to buy?
Pros & Cons
- Lightweight construction means less fatigue: Have you ever been intimidated by heavy equipment? An understandable concern, especially if you’re a hobbyist who doesn’t operate heavy equipment daily, is the inevitable fatigue you’ll experience from operating machinery. But one of the best perks of this circular saw is that it’s designed for lightweight use, and it won’t leave you tired after just a few minutes. This equates to less breaks and more woodworking.
- 15 Amp power means quicker cuts and less waiting: SKILSAW has found the sweet spot between power and lightweight technology. It might not be suited for an industrial or professional environment, but its 15 Amps of power will handle your personal projects with an ease that you won’t find with most cheaper circular saws.
- Has built-in measurement system for quick, effortless measuring and less mistakes: Taking the time to hand-measure the depth on each and every piece of lumber is pretty much nothing but wasted time when machines like this one have built-in measuring devices. Your projects will be that much more rewarding when they’re completed less the time spent measuring.
- Comes with an anti-snag lower guard to cut small pieces smoothly: Small pieces can be a pain. Sometimes we even resort to sawing them by hand, but with this circular saw’s anti-snag lower guard you’ll be able to handle small pieces virtually as easily as large strips of lumber.
- Worm gear may require semi-frequent lubrication: One of the biggest consumer complaints from this piece is that the gears require a keen eye for lubrication. Oil will need to be replaced somewhat frequently, and preferably even added before the first use.
- Not suitable for industrial use: If your projects are on an industrial scale, skip this circular saw. While it’s perfect for individual hobby use or for small projects, you’ll want something sturdier for the job site.
- Not suited for travel, and does not have a coordinating carrying case: Another drawback for professional woodworkers and carpenters is the fact that this saw doesn’t have a compatible carrying case and shouldn’t travel often. Because of its lightweight construction, it should be handled carefully and stored in a shop of its own.
SKILSAW SPT77WML-01 Key Features
The SKILSAW SPT77WML-01 is equipped with features specifically designed for a certain type of woodworker, including its magnesium construction, a 53” bevel, its Cut-Ready measurement system, and its two handles.
Hobbyists and at-home enthusiasts will find that the magnesium construction creates a sturdy design while allowing for light-weight handling.
This makes for a perfect first circular saw, but it’s also perfect for someone who’s more experienced but doesn’t manage huge projects, because a lighter weight circular saw translates into less exhaustion and a more pleasant overall experience.
The SKILSAW SPT77WML-01 also provides an attached 53” bevel which is plenty big enough for practically any use, making it great for larger cuts of wood as well as smaller ones.
With such a large size, it’s possible to bevel any piece of wood without much hassle at all, making it useful for more than just slicing.
In addition to a large bevel, the saw has a built in, trademarked measurement system called Cut-Ready. It’s designed to entirely eliminate the need to hand-measure the depth of cuts, giving woodworkers an advantage over time.
Instead of measuring depth by hand, which can be painstaking, this SKILSAW offers a built-in system that isn’t available on any other circular saw.
The SKILSAW SPT77WML-01 also has two handles, which makes it perfect for approaching wood-cutting from different angles.
Whereas one handle can be awkward on certain cuts, two handles ensures that no matter the type of cut you’re making you’ll be able to do so comfortably, which means doing so with more accuracy.
Lightweight Circular Saw
One of the biggest considerations for this saw is the fact that it is lightweight, coming in at just over 11 pounds, which is perfect for some woodworkers, but this isn’t as great for others. As we said previously, this circular saw is perfect for you IF you engage in smaller projects, and here’s why.
A lighter weight construction also means that it isn’t as durable as its heavier counterparts, but unless you’re undertaking huge tasks on a professional or industrial scale this won’t be a drawback for you.
While some consumers have complained of its lack of durability, those who require a circular saw for personal use rave about the fact that it’s easy to handle because it isn’t too heavy. It might easily be one of the best worm drive saw you can get your hands on.
While the SKILSAW SPT77WML-01 isn’t by any means the very cheapest circular saw on the market, it does go for a very moderate price, especially considering all the features it includes that we’ve already mentioned.
For a saw that’s durable enough for serious hobby projects but simple enough for a novice woodworker, there really aren’t any better circular saws for the price.
Ease of Use
When it comes to using a circular saw (or any power tool) the easier it is, the better!
The lightweight construction of the Skilsaw is one of the biggest contributors to its reputation for being easy to use, but it also has a lot of other features that just plain save a lot of time and make for greater accuracy.
We’ve already mentioned its depth-measuring system, its two handles, and its 53” bevel, and these all add up to one easy-to-use circular saw.
This is precisely why it’s perfect for both beginners and hobbyists. Eliminating many common mistakes from your woodworking will make you love both the saw and woodworking itself all the more.
If you really want to maximize ease of use, it might be worth looking at a cordless circular saw.
So Why Buy It?
Because the SKILSAW SPT77WML-01 is created for such a specific set of woodworkers, you should take all the above mentioned qualities into consideration before purchasing it.
But if what you need is a saw that’s easy to control, works quickly, and is lightweight, you should look no further. It’s created especially with you in mind. You’re taking your purchase seriously and you’re after a great price for what you need, and this saw will deliver.
Before you buy a circular saw you also need to know everything about circular saw safety.
So let’s recap. The SKILSAW SPT77WML-01 is lightweight, durable, and it comes at one heck of a price. It could be just the circular saw for you.
If you’ve been doing your research and have evaluated your needs as a woodworker and determined that your ideal circular saw is lightweight, durable, powerful enough for entire projects, and has a slew of added features that take your enthusiasm for woodworking to all-new heights, then you’re describing the SKILSAW SPT77WML-01 to a tee.