When you are working with wood, you will have to use screws to fit pieces of wood together to form joints. However, if not done right, the joint will either come loose and crack from the inside. This is where the pocket hole jig comes into play.
You can use this tool to create holes for each of your screws at an angle into the wood. This way, you will make a strong joint while also hiding those unappealing holes in the finished woodwork. The pocket hole jig is a very useful tool for both experienced woodworkers and for newbies alike. Depending on your project, it can be quite a versatile tool to add to your tool collection.
- For the Advanced Woodworker: Kreg K5 Pocket Hole Jig
- For the Utility Woodworker: 76 Piece, all-in-one pocket hole jig set with a carrying case
- For the Hardy Woodworker: Massca Aluminum Pocket Hole Jig System Pro M2
- For the Travelling Woodworker: Kreg Pocket Hole Jig 320
- For the Accurate Woodworker: Massca Twin Pocket Hole Jig Set
- For the Home-Based Woodworker: Milescraft 1325 PocketJig200
- For the Versatile Woodworker: Kreg R3 Master System
- For the Handy Woodworker: MulWark Premium Pocket Hole Jig System Kit
🔎 Buyer’s Guide
If you have made it this far and are still wondering about what pocket hole jigs really are and what you can do with them, I have got you covered. Let’s get into it:
➡️ What is a pocket hole jig?
Joining two pieces of wood together is something that every woodworking enthusiast will have to know about. There are many different methods you could use to do this, and one of them is called pocket hole joinery. This is where you would use a pocket hole jig to drill a hole at an angle into the side of the wood until it is near the edge. Then you take your second piece of wood, put them together, and drive a screw through the hole you made into the other board. This will give you a strong connection between the two boards, creating a stable and durable joint.
➡️ Why should you be using a pocket hole jig?
Still not convinced about purchasing a pocket hole jig? Here’s why you should get one:
- The traditional wood joints that have been done over the past years are quite difficult to learn and master, especially as a beginner. This method, if learned early, can really help you build beautiful wooden pieces as you learn more.
- When building certain pieces, you will find that pocket holes are the only joints that make sense to use. If you don’t know how to do it or don’t have the equipment, you won’t be able to finish your project to your satisfaction.
- As a beginner, you don’t need to make all your projects look amazing. You first need to learn how to build with wood in the best way. Learning these techniques that give you stable pieces will help you grow over time.
- When you start on projects, it can quickly become frustrating if you can’t get the joint to hold together well. Most times, your projects will fall over if the joints aren’t secure. To stop yourself from having to endure this frustration in the future, putting the time in to learn now would be best for your woodworking experience.
➡️ What are the advantages of using this technique?
There is a reason that the pocket hole method is popular amongst new woodworkers. Here are some of the reasons why a pocket hole jig will be a worthy purchase for you:
- You will be creating a strong joint that will keep your project standing up for a long time. At the same time, there will be no visible holes or screws that will ruin the look.
- You don’t need to cut each piece of wood in a certain way and then glue them together to form a joint. This is one simple drill, and you’re done.
- The pocket screws used will stay tight permanently. This way, your projects will remain clamped together for a long time.
- Once you have driven in the screws through the pocket hole you made, the piece is done. You don’t need to wait until the glue sets to begin work on the next area.
➡️ What are the downsides of using this technique?
Of course, there are a few reasons why professional woodworkers don’t like to use pocket holes:
- Once you have driven in each screw, there is no way of knowing if the joint is fully complete as you can’t look inside. Therefore, you have to assume that the joint will hold in place for a long time to come.
- Depending on where you place the pocket holes, the finished piece of furniture may not look so elegant if the holes were in a visible area. Because it is impossible to hide all of them, professionals prefer not to use this method.
The Best Pocket Hole Jigs
- For use with 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inch thick materials
- Hardened-steel Kreg drill guides feature a lifetime warranty
- Comes with downloadable plans for 6 home projects
The K5 comes with many features that you don’t usually see in a pocket hole jig. This includes a removable dust collection port that makes clean-up so much easier, as well as a clamping system that makes it easy to set up on your work table. This way, you don’t need to spend any more money and purchase additional accessories for these necessities. Imagine not having to spend ages cleaning up after working on a long project? Most times, the clean-up can be the worst part.
This piece of equipment is also more than capable of handling quite large pieces of wood/material. This makes the tool perfect for professional woodworking and big projects that advanced users want to tackle. Adding to its utility, the tool also comes with extensive support wing sections attached to both sides. It even has a compartment to store all your screws and other bits you want to use while working.
A couple of other notable features are the quick-release pins and the stop-collar setting block. The stop-collar will make the jig relatively easy to set up and start using, while the quick-release pins will help hold the drill block in place. They are also set up in a way that ensures that the pins won’t ever get lost.
- Has a built-in clamping system
- Can work on larger woodworking projects
- Has an onboard storage wing to store your accessories
- More pricey than other models
Where to buy
76 Piece, all-in-one pocket hole jig set
- This jig kit to build their woodworking projects
- Fastening picture frames with unlimited applications
- Pocket hole joints are ideal for leg and rail connections
Purchasing all your woodworking tools can be a task that can take you ages. As a DIY worker, you will first need to research all the tools you want and then do a utility run to find all these tools. But let’s be honest, how many of us have started a project only to realize that we don’t have a simple tool or accessory to get to the next part? Frustrating times right?
Well, you can say goodbye to all of these problems with the full jig kit that includes all the tools and accessories you will need to complete any woodworking project, even if you’re a professional or are just starting. This comprehensive kit can be used for countless woodworking applications, making it the perfect toolkit for the functional woodworker.
For starters, it comes with a built-in clamping system that you can mount on your bench, or if you are working on smaller projects, you can use it portably as well. It is built to be a versatile set of tools that any woodworker should have at their workstation. All the tools are well-built to be accurate when sneaking screws into small out-of-the-way spots while also being simple to use by anyone.
- You don’t need to spend time looking for and purchasing each individual item
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- May have some of the tools or accessories that you already own
Where to buy
Massca Aluminum Pocket Hole Jig System Pro M2
- Full Aluminum Body
- Removable Jig System
- Dust Spout Connector & T-Track Slot
The whole point of a jig system is to ensure that the joints you make on your project hold well and stay hidden. With this heavy-duty metal jig system, you can create projects built for stability and dependability.
One of the best parts about this tool is the newly added stop blocks and steel stabilizing bars. You can use these to lock your material and measurements into place so that your end product will have the perfect hole cut. Using much larger pieces of wood and having the exact measurements for multiple pieces of your project is now made so much easier. Just think about it, you don’t need to keep measuring each piece of wood to get your pocket holes. You only need to do it once, and you can repeat it as many times as you want!
So why does it have a heavy aluminum body? First of all, it helps you have a solid foundation for any project you are working on. The second is that the weight and its other features allow you to get that perfect pocket hole cut which also feels relatively smooth to the touch.
- Has a Dust Spout Connector to collect all the sawdust and debris while working
- Very durable because of the metal build
- Extra carpenter accessories for added functionality
- Quite an advanced option for a newbie to woodworking
Where to buy
Kreg Pocket Hole Jig 320
- Portable Jig for creating pocket-hole joints
- Works with materials from 1⁄2″ to 1 1⁄2″ thick
- Easy-To-Use Material Thickness Gauge
Kreg is a household name that has been in the woodworking industry since the 1990s. A company wouldn’t be around that long and be as popular without having a good range of products. The same is true with the pocket hole jig 320.
This tool is the perfect accompaniment for the off-the-fly DIY woodworker or one who is always moving about. It is a simple yet useful tool that comes in a durable, compact case. Even though most of the jig body is built with plastic, it still has quite a sturdy and well-built feel. It is quite a versatile tool that you can use to work on most materials between the ½ to 1 ½ inch width area.
The way it is built, it is very easy to carry around. Combine this with their anti-slip base and durable construction, and you have got yourself a nifty tool that should be a staple in your woodworking station. Any expert woodworker would know that this is a solid piece of equipment when they pick it up and use it for the first time.
- Comes in a convenient size that makes it easy to carry around
- Has a rubber base to stop it from sliding or moving around
- A cheaper option for those who are looking for a basic pocket jig
- Can be challenging to work on small boards
- You will need to purchase a separate clamp to utilize it properly
Where to buy
Massca Twin Pocket Hole Jig Set
- Hardened Drill Guides & Wood Chip Relief
- Clean Pocket Hole Cuts
- Designed for use with timber from ½”- 1½” in thickness
Not all woodworking projects are intricate or require a lot of work. If you want to get a simple project done and work with the most basic and essential tools, then the twin pocket hole jig will do just the trick. You will be hard-pressed to find another model that offers the same level of quality work that this tool does for a similar price.
The jig comes with a magnetic clamping system designed to create accurate pocket holes even right next to each other. This base can be quickly adjusted and attached to your base for your project, and this can help keep your drilling steady and your piece of wood safe.
You can work with material that is between the ½ to 1 ½ inch thickness. You can forget about marking your wood before making the pocket holes because there is an in-built thickness gauge as well as a drill depth gauge that you can use for all your quick measurements. As a beginner, this jig offers a lot of value and versatility for the price you’re paying. However, you will find much better options if you are using a jig for more than a few DIY projects.
- A budget-friendly option for the occasional DIY-ers
- Simple to set up and use
- Does not include different instructional guides
Where to buy
Milescraft 1325 PocketJig200
- Spring Loaded Sled Adjustment Button
- Recessed Clamp Pocket With Magnet
- 3/8″ Split Design Stop Collar With Flat
The use of this tool can be judged by the type of work you want to be done out of it. Do you need it to fix or build cabinets or shelves for your home? Or make a cupboard or intricate bookshelf for a business? This tool will be perfect for those who are looking for a quick and easy tool to use for home DIY projects.
You can use this tool to easily create accurate joints for your projects while also using it to do minor repairs around your home. It even comes with its gauges for thickness and drilling depth so that you don’t have to measure every piece that you work with. There is an in-built magnetic clamp for easy to set up on your workbench, and it can work on material between ½ to 1 ½ inch thickness.
Just because this tool does not seem to have any fancy features does not mean that it is bad. For your smaller projects, you will find that you can get the perfect pocket hole quite effortlessly due to the hardened steel bushings that will reduce tearing on the wood. Overall, this jig is perfect for those of you who work only on projects at home.
- You can use it to fix everyday items around your home
- Very quick and efficient tool for small projects
- Instruction manual doesn’t give you a detailed explanation about the product
Where to buy
Kreg R3 Master System
- Can be used portably to make lasting repairs around your home
- Glass-reinforced nylon body
- The core of every KREG jig R3 features hardened-stee
If you know any other woodworkers who have tried this tool, then they will tell you that this jig can be used for almost any project that they undertake. This is because Kreg has created such a versatile tool that you can use in any circumstance.
It comes with a detachable clamp that you can then use for other non-Kreg-related tools or to reach places that are difficult to set a clamp on. There are screw holes on the clamp that allow you to screw them on anywhere. It is made of a nylon body that is flexible yet durable enough to withstand any pressure you put on your projects. There is an adjustable thickness gauge that can measure between ½ to 1 ½ inch of thickness.
The only problem with the tool comes with the fact that you will be drilling in towards your body when you drill. The jig needs to set up facing away from you, so especially if the hole you are trying to make is towards the middle of the board, it can be quite challenging to reach. You would need to angle the drill in a place that is difficult for you to see accurately. However, this is not a big problem, and you can get used to it no problem.
- Simple to use and easy to set up
- Has an in-built thickness gauge
- Comes in a compact case for simple storage
- The design means you are drilling towards yourself, which can be uncomfortable
Where to buy
MulWark Premium Pocket Hole Jig System Kit
- Easy to measure the workpiece thickness and set the jig position
- The drill guide hole is designed with an appropriate angle of 15 degrees
- Can create corner joints, T-joints, framing joints, Miter joints or do repairs
If you haven’t heard of Mulwark, they are a US-based company that focuses on creating DIY tools. This is another one of their affordable yet durable selection of products, and there is a lot to like about it.
The body is built from 30% glass fibre and reinforced Nylon, making the body strong and durable. Even the inside of the jig is made from hardened steel that prevents it from breaking even from large amounts of pressure put on it. You will also find the in-built thickness gauge quite useful because it allows you to measure thickness in every ⅛ inch from a ½ to 1 ½ inch thickness level. Pair that with its magnetic top, which enables you to stick to an iron/metal workbench, and you instantly have a versatile and stable tool to create your pocket holes.
When you purchase the jig, you will also get ten plastic plugs which you can use to do some finishing on the holes you created and to create the perfect joints. There are also a bunch of accessories that come along with it, such as 50 pieces of screws and a depth stop collar. For the price you are paying, you won’t go wrong with this purchase.
- Magnetic clamp for easy setup
- Nine thickness measurement settings
- You will get a lifetime warranty
- No dust collector for such a premium-ly built model
Where to buy
|Kreg K5 Pocket Hole Jig
|23.5 x 9.5 x 5
|76 Piece, all-in-one pocket hole jig set with a carrying case
|2.5 x 9.5 x 9.4
|Massca Aluminum Pocket Hole Jig System Pro M2
|10.8 x 4.6 x 5.31
|Kreg Pocket Hole Jig 320
|8.38 x 6 x 2
|Massca Twin Pocket Hole Jig Set
|5 x 2 x 1
|Milescraft 1325 PocketJig200
|9.6 x 8 x 2.6
Glass Filled Nylon, Hardened Steel
|Kreg R3 Master System
|10 x 8.2 x 6.6
|MulWark Premium Pocket Hole Jig System Kit
|10.3 x 6.9 x 1.7
If you have any more questions about pocket hole jigs or pocket holes, we have listed down a few of the common questions that pop up:
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it possible to disassemble a pocket hole once it is done?
Yes, it is possible. However, it is not recommended, as experience has shown that the screws will not tighten the same way they used to once you remove them.
Should I only use pocket screws with a jig?
It is important to note that you don’t use any other type of screw when working on a pocket hole. The pocket screws are explicitly made for this reason. If you use any other screws, the pocket hole could crack or end up with a loose joint.
Is it possible to drill in the wrong hole accidentally?
Yes, this has happened to many people over the years. To avoid this, a simple method would be to place a small piece of white tape over the holes you aren’t using so you don’t accidentally forget.
Will I have to purchase a new one if I drill through the jig?
Don’t worry if you go through the base of your pocket hole jig. The tool will continue to work normally.
As a beginner or even a professional, pocket hole jigs are a versatile tool, you need in your toolset. It can help you create those pieces of furniture you wanted to make or even do repairs around the house. If you are looking for a reliable pocket hole jig, then the Kreg K5 would be our top choice, though any other brands mentioned on here can do the trick for you as well!