How often do you get asked to frame a closet or wardrobe? Most people don’t realize that framing a closet is a simple task that requires little skill. You can do it yourself at home using some basic tools and materials.
Framing a closet is a great way to give your space a fresh look. If you want to add a new coat rack or shelf, then you’ll need to frame the opening.
This means cutting out the old wallboard and replacing it with new drywall. Many people decide to hire somebody to do this job for them, relying on their expertise.
But what if you don’t want to hire somebody and want to do it yourself, only you don’t know how? Don’t worry! You’ve come to the right place! In this article, we will show you how to frame a closet, focusing on the steps involved in doing so.
We will also include tips on how to make sure you have everything you need before starting the project.
We have also included a short Frequently Asked Question section that will help to answer any of your most important questions about this issue.
What You Will Need
Before you begin, you will need a few items. You may need other items, and we recommend getting or borrowing a good set of DIY tools before beginning. The pieces below are the most vital components. These will include:
Wood – there are many kinds of wood you can use, but the best choice would be pine.
It’s soft enough that it won’t splinter when nailed into place, yet strong enough to hold up against daily wear-and-tear. Pine is available at most hardware stores.
Hammer – The first thing you will need is a hammer. It’s best to use one that has a claw end, as this makes it much easier to drive the nail into the wood.
Nails – Next up, you will need nails. They are available in different sizes, but the size you choose should be based on the thickness of the material you’re working with.
Saw – Finally, you will need a saw. There are many types of saws, from electric powered ones to hand-held ones. For this project, we recommend getting an electric circular saw.
Screws – Lastly, you will need screws. These will be used to secure all of the pieces together.
Drill – This tool is used to create holes through which you will install the screws.
Wood Glue – When you’re done, you will need to apply wood glue to the backside of each piece of wood.
Caulking Gun – Caulking guns are used to fill small gaps between two surfaces. They are particularly useful when you need to fill a gap between a door and its frame.
Paint or varnish – this is for the final step, where you will make the finishing touches to your masterpiece!
Steps To Frame A Closet
Now that we have our equipment and materials, we can begin to frame our closet. Let’s get started!
- Measure Your Space – first up you’ll need to measure your closet. Use a tape measure to determine where the walls meet the floor. Make note of these measurements.Then, measure the width of the closet. Now, divide the length by 2.5. This number represents the number of inches you will cut off the front of the closet.
- Cut Out The Wallboards – Start by removing the existing wallboard. This is usually located behind the studs. Remove the old wallboard using a utility knife.Once removed, take a pencil and mark where the studs are. Using a hacksaw or jigsaw, remove the studs. Be careful not to damage the framing members.
- Lay Out The Pieces Of Wood – Next up, lay out the pieces of wood for the closet. Each piece needs to be placed at least 1/4 inch away from the previous piece. Mark the locations of the pieces onto the wall using chalk or tape.
- Drill Holes Into The Studs – After laying out the pieces of wood, start drilling holes into the studs. Use a drill bit that is slightly larger than the diameter of the screw you plan to use.
- Attach The Pieces Of Wood With Screws – Next up, attach each piece of wood to the studs using screws. Drive the screws into the studs until they are flush with the surface of the wall.
- Apply Wood Glue Before – Take your time to apply wood glue to the backside of each piece of wood, making sure that the edge of the wood is smooth. Smooth any rough edges with sandpaper before gluing.
- Fill In Any Gaps Between Pieces With Caulk – If necessary, fill in any gaps between pieces of wood with caulk.
- Install The Door And Window Frames – Now it is time to install the door and window frames. You may want to use hinges if you have them. Otherwise, just slide the frames into place.
- Hang The Doors & Windows – Next up, you’re going to need to hang the doors and windows. If you have installed hinges, now is the time to do so.
- Finish Up – At this point, you are ready to finish the closet. You can paint it, stain it, do whatever you like to add the finishing touches!
We hope that this guide has helped you in framing a closet. As with anything in the wonderful world of DIY, we would like to note that you may have to take some different steps than we pointed out in our guide.
Always take some time to think over a step that you might not be able to undo with ease, and make sure you’re comfortable with what you’re doing before starting on the project. Good luck!
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is The Best Wood For Building A Closet?
The most common type of wood used when constructing a closet is pine. It is inexpensive, easy to work with, and comes in many sizes. Pine is also very durable; however, it does tend to warp over time.
Cedar is another popular choice because it is strong, long-lasting, and naturally rot-resistant. However, cedar tends to be more expensive than pine.
If you want to learn more about the strongest wood to build with, check out this article.
What Should I Use To Frame My Closet?
There are several types of materials available for hanging clothes. Generally speaking, there are two main options: metal rods and wooden dowels.
Metal rods come in various lengths and diameters. They are typically made of aluminum or steel. Wooden dowels are generally smaller and less expensive than metal rods.
What Is The Best Closet Lighting?
Closet lighting is an important part of your closet’s design. There are three basic types of closet lights: recessed, track, and pendant. Recessed lights are usually mounted directly into the ceiling of the closet.
Track lights are hung from the top of the closet above the shelves. Pendant lights are suspended from the ceiling by chains or wires. Each type of light provides its unique look and feel.