Table of Contents
- 2Dimension plans
- 3The pieces - cutting list
- 4Wood & wood size explanations
- 5Step 1. Attach base pieces [b] to upright pieces [a]
- 6Step 2. Add base pieces [c] and [b2]
- 7Step 3. Tie it all together (optional)
- 8Step 4. Prepare the beam
- 9Step 5. Attach the beam to the Stand
- 10Step 6. Make the seat frames
- 11Step 7. Add the seat handles & pads
- 12Step 8. A bit of paint if you like, and the pad bolt
The pieces – cutting list
|Timber, lumber. The hard fibrous lignified substance under the bark of trees cutting list|
|a||2×6 (150mm x 50mm)||24″ (610mm)||2||round the top cnrs|
|b||2×6 (150mm x 50mm)||25″ (635mm)||2|
|b2||2×4 (100mm x 50mm)||16″ (407mm)||2||round the top cnrs|
|c||2×6 (150mm x 50mm)||28″ (710mm)||2|
|d||4×4 (100mm x 100mm)||11ft (3350mm)||1||round the bottom cnrs|
|d2||2×4 (100mm x 50mm)||20″ (508mm)||1||round the bottom ends|
|e||2×6 (150mm x 50mm)||20″ (508mm)||2||A cut lengthwise along a board that also runs with the grain. (As opposed to cross-cut.) to req’d width|
|f||2×6 (150mm x 50mm)||18″ (457mm)||4||angle and round the ends|
|g||2×6 (150mm x 50mm)||10-1/2″ (267mm)||2||cut to plan|
|h||2×6 (150mm x 50mm)||10″ 254mm||2||rip to req’d width|
|i||2×2 (50mm x 50mm)||14″ (355mm)||2||round the handles|
|j||1/2″ (12mm) A piece of wood made of three or more layers of wood veneer laminated together with glue.||13″ (330mm)||2||cut to plan|
|k||1/2″ (12mm) plywood||18″ (457mm)||2||cut to plan|
You will need
• 4×4 (100mm x 100mm): 1 @ 11ft (3350mm)
• 2×6 (150mm x 50mm): 27ft (8m) in total, allows for a little bit of wastage.
• 2×4 (100mm x 50mm): 4½ft (1.4m) in total, allows for a little bit of wastage.
• 2×2 (50mm x 50mm): 28″ (710mm) in total.
• 1/2″ (12mm) plywood: 1 piece 18″x36″ (460mm x 920mm) allows for a little bit of wastage.
• 1 only 1/2″ (12mm) Covered with a protective coating of zinc. A metal rod that has a head on one end and threads on the other and is used to fasten together lumber. The most common bolts used or referred to in projects within this website are coach/carriage bolts and hex bolts. 9″ (225mm) long with nut and four washers,
• 2 only pad bolts,
• 3-1/2″ (90mm) wood screws,
• good exterior wood glue,
• 1 only piece of galvanized or copper tube (pipe) 8″ (200mm) long with an inside diameter of 12 Abbreviation for millimeter which is a metric unit of length equal to one thousandth of a meter. 25.4 mm equals one inch. (1/2″) (optional),
• 2 only 3×7 (75mm x 175mm) galvanized tie plates and suitable nails (optional),
• 3ft (900mm) of galvanized strap and suitable nails (optional),
• 4 only galvanized hurricane ties 4″ (100mm) long, and suitable nails (optional).
Note: The optional items mentioned above and shown in the pictures below depend on how strong you want the seesaw to be.