color break
pinterest icon facebook icon instagram icon twitter icon google plus icon youtube icon

How to build a lean-to glasshouse

The glasshouse glass

3 mm thick standard glass is commonly used for glasshouses in England.
There are specific sizes that are called in inches (even though England uses the metric system) for width and length, and millimetres for thickness.

For example: A standard piece of glass is 18" x 24" x 3mm - Called by a mixture of metric and imperial.

Note: If your glasshouse is subject to a lot of kids playing around it, maybe a thicker tempered glass might be in order (albeit a lot more expensive) or even polycarbonate might be worth considering.

Note: Some countries including USA seem to be trending more toward polycarbonate than glass.
Polycarbonate is a lot stronger than glass, I guess it boils down to availability, price, and whether you're a traditionalist or not.

Different terminologies

Because this was my second project in London I had acquired a few basic tools and a bit of knowledge regarding local wood. I also got to grips with a slightly different terminology to what I was used of.
For this article I am going to refer to all wooden members as 'wood'.
In North America framing wood is referred to as lumber (example: a piece of 2x3 lumber), In Australasia it is referred to as timber (example: a piece of 50mm x 75mm timber).
I am going to refer to it as 'wood' (example: a piece of 50mm x 75mm (2x4) wood). I'm sure everyone can understand that.

All in all, wood is wood, nails are nails, screws are screws, and other stuff is other stuff - so it's just really a matter of finding the best suit for your needs and getting on with the job.

Note: You can purchase this plan in downloadable PDF file, print friendly and in clean copy (free of ads) for only $5.00.   Click here to purchase.
The plans can be purchased online and immediately downloaded to your computer.

To view all available $5 downloadable plans click here

Other terminologies used in this documentation (basics in the framing)

Fascia board: The top horizontal board capping the top ends of the rafters.
Plate: (top and bottom) A horizontal wood member at the top and bottom of a wall frame.
Nogging (also called blocking in North America, and dwang in Scotland): A horizontal piece between studs or rafters.
Rafter: A sloping wood member in the roof frame.
Stud: An upright vertical wood member in a wall frame.

Home   About   Contact   Help   Site rules   What's here   Projects   Your work   $5 plans   Free plans   Shop   Subscribe
Copyright all rights reserved