Table of Contents
- 3Photos of construction part 1
- 4Photos of construction part 2
- 6Plans - Front, floor and footprint
- 7Plans - Base, floor, and wall layout
- 8Plans - Top and roof (millimetres)
- 9Plans - Top and roof (inches)
- 10Plans - The sign
- 11Plans - Details
- 12Plans - Fixed walls - metric
- 13Plans - Fixed wall - standard
- 14Plans - Wall/door - metric
- 15Plans - Wall/door - standard
- 16Materials overall
- 17Framing wood by section - metric
- 18Framing wood by section - standard
- 19Cutting list (frame)
- 20Step 1. Cut the frame pieces to length
- 21Step 2. Rip the relevant pieces to the required widths
- 22Step 3. Make the base
- 23Step 4. Make up the pillars
- 24Step 5. Assemble and stand the frames
- 25Step 6. Make the head (top section)
- 26Step 7. Make the walls
- 27Step 8. Install the walls, head, and door
- 28Step 9. Shape and fix the mullions
- 29Step 10. Shape and fix the decorative pillar top pieces
- 30Step 11. Paint time
- 31Step 12. Make the windows
- 32Step 13. Add the 'police call box' sign
- 33Step 14. Final touches (almost)
- 34Roof lamp Introduction
- 35Roof lamp Plans
- 36Sourcing the components
- 38The lamp container cap
- 39Fibreglassing the cap
- 40The lamp container base
- 41Threaded rod to the cap
- 42Assemble the lamp container
- 43Put in a light or two
- 44The lights go on
Step 4. Make up the pillars
Each pillar consists of a center post [A] and surrounding pieces [B],[B2], & 2 [C]s.
[A] is 90 Abbreviation for millimeter which is a metric unit of length equal to one thousandth of a meter. 25.4 mm equals one inch. x 90 mm (3½” x 3½”) stock 2175 mm (87″) long.
[B] is 170 mm x 45 mm (1½” x 6½”) stock 2275 mm (91″) long.
[B2] is 125 mm x 45 mm (1½” x 5″) stock 2275 mm (91″) long.
[C] is 90 mm x 35 mm (1½” x 3½”) stock 2175 mm (87″) long.
Pieces [C] need to be mitred (angled) 45° down one side, and pieces [B] and [B2]need to be shaped (circular edges).
Shape the profile of pieces [B] and [B2]
4.1. Make a 7 mm (5⁄16″) deep cut, lengthwise down the The widest side of a piece of wood. and edge 25 mm in from the corner.
4.2. Make another cut 16 mm (⅝”) in from the corner with the blade How much the teeth are angled out on a circular saw blade. on a 45° angle and the blade depth set to 7 mm (5⁄16″) – ending up with a trench the shape of half a V.
4.3. Round the corners of [B] and [B2] with a planer and sand paper to achieve as near as possible a 25 mm diameter round.
Make up each corner pillar of the Police Rough grade timber. by joining piece [A] [B] [B2] and two [C]s.
Ensure one pair of corner pillars is made up in a mirror image of the other pair.