Table of Contents
- 3Photos of construction part 1
- 4Photos of construction part 2
- 6Plans - Front, floor and footprint
- 7Plans - Base, floor, and wall layout
- 8Plans - Top and roof (millimetres)
- 9Plans - Top and roof (inches)
- 10Plans - The sign
- 11Plans - Details
- 12Plans - Fixed walls - metric
- 13Plans - Fixed wall - standard
- 14Plans - Wall/door - metric
- 15Plans - Wall/door - standard
- 16Materials overall
- 17Framing wood by section - metric
- 18Framing wood by section - standard
- 19Cutting list (frame)
- 20Step 1. Cut the frame pieces to length
- 21Step 2. Rip the relevant pieces to the required widths
- 22Step 3. Make the base
- 23Step 4. Make up the pillars
- 24Step 5. Assemble and stand the frames
- 25Step 6. Make the head (top section)
- 26Step 7. Make the walls
- 27Step 8. Install the walls, head, and door
- 28Step 9. Shape and fix the mullions
- 29Step 10. Shape and fix the decorative pillar top pieces
- 30Step 11. Paint time
- 31Step 12. Make the windows
- 32Step 13. Add the 'police call box' sign
- 33Step 14. Final touches (almost)
- 34Roof lamp Introduction
- 35Roof lamp Plans
- 36Sourcing the components
- 38The lamp container cap
- 39Fibreglassing the cap
- 40The lamp container base
- 41Threaded rod to the cap
- 42Assemble the lamp container
- 43Put in a light or two
- 44The lights go on
Sourcing the components
The hardest part to find (for me, anyway) to make this lamp, was the fresnel lens.
I eventually saw one in a ship lamp (anchor light) that was sitting in the widow of a ship’s chandler.
I purchased the complete lamp just to get the lens but the lamp was not wasted as I replaced the fresnel lens with plain glass – simply a glass jar (from the supermarket) with the bottom cut off. It worked perfectly so I ended up with a working ships lamp as well as a fresnel lens for the TARDIS project.
The fresnel lens was 106mm (4 3/8″) outside diameter (at the widest part) and 90mm (3 1/2″) high.
The inside diameter was 76mm (3″) one end and 78mm (a little over 3″) at the other end.
All of the rest of the components I found without too much trouble.
Note: Since obtaining the fresnel lens, I have seen others at various places online including ebay.