Table of Contents
- 3Photos of construction part 1
- 4Photos of construction part 2
- 6Plans - Front, floor and footprint
- 7Plans - Base, floor, and wall layout
- 8Plans - Top and roof (millimetres)
- 9Plans - Top and roof (inches)
- 10Plans - The sign
- 11Plans - Details
- 12Plans - Fixed walls - metric
- 13Plans - Fixed wall - standard
- 14Plans - Wall/door - metric
- 15Plans - Wall/door - standard
- 16Materials overall
- 17Framing wood by section - metric
- 18Framing wood by section - standard
- 19Cutting list (frame)
- 20Step 1. Cut the frame pieces to length
- 21Step 2. Rip the relevant pieces to the required widths
- 22Step 3. Make the base
- 23Step 4. Make up the pillars
- 24Step 5. Assemble and stand the frames
- 25Step 6. Make the head (top section)
- 26Step 7. Make the walls
- 27Step 8. Install the walls, head, and door
- 28Step 9. Shape and fix the mullions
- 29Step 10. Shape and fix the decorative pillar top pieces
- 30Step 11. Paint time
- 31Step 12. Make the windows
- 32Step 13. Add the 'police call box' sign
- 33Step 14. Final touches (almost)
- 34Roof lamp Introduction
- 35Roof lamp Plans
- 36Sourcing the components
- 38The lamp container cap
- 39Fibreglassing the cap
- 40The lamp container base
- 41Threaded rod to the cap
- 42Assemble the lamp container
- 43Put in a light or two
- 44The lights go on
The lamp container base
For this use a piece of 24mm (1″) thick plywood 137mm (5 3/4″) square. Maybe glue two 12mm (1/2″) thick pieces together to get the required thickness.
Also a short length about 64mm (2 1/2″) of PVC pipe with a diameter slightly smaller than the inside diameter of the fresnel lens. In this case, 76mm (3″) diameter.
Drill a 76mm (3″) diameter hole in center of the plywood base piece and glue the PVC pipe in the hole, protruding 3mm (1/8″) out the top side and the rest hanging out the bottom. I used an adhesive sealant that would grip to both the PVC and the wood.
While waiting for everything to dry, drill a 76mm (3″) diameter hole through the middle of the apex square at the top of the TARDIS.
Make a hole template for the threaded rod. This is to mark all the necessary holes in the cap, base, roof, and light platform. Having a template ensures all the holes will be aligned.
On a piece of card mark three circles.
1 @ 86mm (3 3/8″) diameter – the overall width (diameter) of the PVC pipe.
1 @ 106mm (4 1/8″) diameter – the overall width (diameter) of the fresnel lens.
1 @ 135mm (5 5/16″) diameter – the overall width (diameter) of the lamp cap
Draw a cross from the middle and mark (on the cross lines) a point 3mm (1/8″) past the middle circle (the overall width (diameter) of the fresnel lens).
Cut out along the lines of the most inner and most outer circles so you end up with a rim approximately 25mm (1″) wide.
That is the template to mark the holes for the four threaded rod pieces (the rods that hold it all together) on the cap flange, the base of the lamp container, the apex of the TARDIS roof, and the light socket support platform.