Table of Contents
- 2Identifying the parts
- 3About measurements, bunk size, mattress
- 4Materials, Cutting list for the beds
- 5Materials, Cutting list for the bunk ends
- 6PLANS - The bed
- 7PLANS - The bunk ends
- 8PLANS - The ladder
- 9Making the bed - Base and ends
- 10Making the bed - Ends and side guardrail
- 11Making the bunk ends and ladder
- 12Assembling the bunk and adding the ladder
- 13Finishing - Nut guards and screw caps
- 14Safety guidelines - Must read
- 15Safety guidelines continued - Must read
Making the bed – Base and ends
Step 1: Make the bed base
Cut all the pieces according to the measurements given in the cutting list on page 4.
Glue and screw the two slat supports (f) to the two side rails (a).
Screw about every 8″(200mm) apart and pre-drill the screw holes through the slat supports (f).
Place the side rails apart on a couple of sawhorses and spread the bed slats (g) along the top of the slat supports, allowing approximately 2″ (50mm) gap between each slat.
Glue and screw the slats to the slat supports. Use two screws at each end of every slat.
Pre-drill the screw holes through the slats (g).
Step 2: Make the bed ends
Round the top ends of the legs with a jig-saw, sander or other suitable tool. Refer to drawing above.
Lay the legs (e) on edge on a couple of sawhorses.
Place the end rail (c) and the end guardrail (d) in position on top of the legs and glue and screw them in place.
Use two screws at each end of both the rail and the guardrail.
Pre-drill the screw holes through both the rail and the guardrail.
Note 1: Ensure that the rail and guardrail are at right angles (square) to the legs.
Note 2: Ensure that the distance in between the two legs is the same as the overall width of the bed base.