Table of Contents
- 1Introduction, Description & Measurements
- 2Materials & cutting list
- 3The side, front, & top elevation plans
- 4Shaping the wood by measurements
- 5Shaping the wood by grid plan
- 6Shaping the wood by pattern printout
- 7Shaping and cutting the pieces
- 8Assembling the seat unit
- 9Assembling the arm and leg unit
- 10Joining it all together
- 11The final touches
Materials & cutting list
All the wood used for this project is 3/4″ (19mm) thick, with the exception of the arms which are 1 1/2″ (45mm) thick. That is to give a bit of meat to the arms and something substantial to screw the upper back support to.
What you will need
For the seat sides, legs, back slats, upper back support, and the seat slats you will need…
38ft (11.5m) of 3/4″ x 5 1/2″ (140mm x 20mm) wood, allowing for a little bit of wastage.
For the front and rear spacers, lower back support, and arm braces you will need…
8ft (2.4m) of 3/4″ x 3 1/2″ (90mm x 20mm) wood, allowing for a little bit of wastage.
For the arms you will need…
64″ (1600mm) of 1 1/2″ x 5 1/2″ (140mm x 45mm) wood.
Note: When cutting, cut the longer pieces first to minimize wastage.
You will also need…
– Around 90 exterior-type 1 1/2″ (38mm) long screws.
– Four 3/8″ x 2″ (10mm x 50mm) galvanized carriage bolts and washers.
– Exterior-type glue
The cutting list
|ID||PART||STOCK SIZE||LENGTH||NO. REG’D|
|[a]||seat sides||3/4″ x 5 1/2″ (140mm x 20mm)||39″ (975mm)||2|
|[b]||rear spacer||3/4″ x 3 1/2″ (90mm x 20mm)||23 1/4″ (580mm)||1|
|[c]||legs||3/4″ x 5 1/2″ (140mm x 20mm)||22 3/4″ (570mm)||2|
|[d]||lower back support||3/4″ x 3 1/2″ (90mm x 20mm)||24 3/4″ (620mm)||1|
|[e]||back slats||3/4″ x 5 1/2″ (140mm x 20mm)||38″ (950mm)||4|
|[f]||arm braces||3/4″ x 3 1/2″ (90mm x 20mm)||7″ (175mm)||2|
|[g]||seat slats||3/4″ x 1 3/8″ (35mm x 20mm)
Rip (cut lengthways) from 3/4″ x 5 1/2″ (140mm x 20mm) stock
|24 3/4″ (620mm)||16|
|[h]||arms||1 1/2″ x 5 1/2″ (140mm x 45mm)||32″ (800mm)||2|
|[i]||upper back support||3/4″ x 5 1/2″ (140mm x 20mm)||30 3/4″ (770mm)||1|
|[j]||front spacer||3/4″ x 3 1/2″ (90mm x 20mm)||24 3/4″ (620mm)||1|