Table of Contents
- 1Introduction, Description & Measurements
- 2Materials & cutting list
- 3The side, front, & top elevation plans
- 4Shaping the wood by measurements
- 5Shaping the wood by grid plan
- 6Shaping the wood by pattern printout
- 7Shaping and cutting the pieces
- 8Assembling the seat unit
- 9Assembling the arm and leg unit
- 10Joining it all together
- 11The final touches
Materials & cutting list
All the Timber, lumber. The hard fibrous lignified substance under the bark of trees used for this project is 3/4″ (19mm) thick, with the exception of the arms which are 1 1/2″ (45mm) thick. That is to give a bit of meat to the arms and something substantial to screw the upper back support to.
What you will need
For the seat sides, legs, back slats, upper back support, and the seat slats you will need…
38ft (11.5m) of 3/4″ x 5 1/2″ (140mm x 20mm) wood, allowing for a little bit of wastage.
For the front and rear spacers, lower back support, and arm braces you will need…
8ft (2.4m) of 3/4″ x 3 1/2″ (90mm x 20mm) wood, allowing for a little bit of wastage.
For the arms you will need…
64″ (1600mm) of 1 1/2″ x 5 1/2″ (140mm x 45mm) wood.
Note: When cutting, cut the longer pieces first to minimize wastage.
You will also need…
– Around 90 exterior-type 1 1/2″ (38mm) long screws.
– Four 3/8″ x 2″ (10mm x 50mm) Covered with a protective coating of zinc. Are round headed bolts with square shoulders that resist rotation when located or driven into place. They can be called coach bolts or carriage bolts depending on which part of the world you live in. The head end of the bolt does not need a washer, but the other end of the bolt (the nut end) usually does. and washers.
– Exterior-type glue
The cutting list
|ID||PART||STOCK SIZE||LENGTH||NO. REG’D|
|[a]||seat sides||3/4″ x 5 1/2″ (140mm x 20mm)||39″ (975mm)||2|
|[b]||rear spacer||3/4″ x 3 1/2″ (90mm x 20mm)||23 1/4″ (580mm)||1|
|[c]||legs||3/4″ x 5 1/2″ (140mm x 20mm)||22 3/4″ (570mm)||2|
|[d]||lower back support||3/4″ x 3 1/2″ (90mm x 20mm)||24 3/4″ (620mm)||1|
|[e]||back slats||3/4″ x 5 1/2″ (140mm x 20mm)||38″ (950mm)||4|
|[f]||arm braces||3/4″ x 3 1/2″ (90mm x 20mm)||7″ (175mm)||2|
|[g]||seat slats||3/4″ x 1 3/8″ (35mm x 20mm)
A cut lengthwise along a board that also runs with the grain. (As opposed to cross-cut.) (cut lengthways) from 3/4″ x 5 1/2″ (140mm x 20mm) stock
|24 3/4″ (620mm)||16|
|[h]||arms||1 1/2″ x 5 1/2″ (140mm x 45mm)||32″ (800mm)||2|
|[i]||upper back support||3/4″ x 5 1/2″ (140mm x 20mm)||30 3/4″ (770mm)||1|
|[j]||front spacer||3/4″ x 3 1/2″ (90mm x 20mm)||24 3/4″ (620mm)||1|