Table of Contents
- 2The size of the thing
- 3About the measurements used
- 4A visual index
- 5Overview of the head
- 6Step 1.1. The head side-frames.
- 7Step 1.2. The head inner support structure.
- 8Step 1.3. The form (mold) for the hypertufa.
- 9Step 1.4. Hypertufa
- 10Placing the hypertufa
- 11Hypertufa - The curing process
- 12Step 1.5. Slurry
- 13Off with the formwork
- 14Step 1.6. The head side-covers and the crown
- 15The crown
- 16Fixing the trim to the side-covers
- 17Step 1.7. Fiberglass
- 18Step 1.8. Paint - undercoating the head
- 19Overview of the body frame
- 20Step 2.1. Shaping the frame members
- 21Step 2.2. Cutting the frame members to length
- 22Step 2.3. Making the wall frames
- 23Step 2.4. The body frame
- 24Step 2.5. The shackles
- 25Overview of the Neck
- 26Step 3.1. The neck - making the box unit
- 27Step 3.2. The aluminum angle for the sign
- 28Step 3.3. Internal perimeter pieces
- 29Step 3.4. Fitting the neck
- 30Step 3.5. The telephone sign
- 31Step 4.1. The trim around the door and window openings
- 32Door and window overview and plan
- 33Step 4.2. Wood for the door and windows
- 34Step 4.3. Joining the stiles and rails
- 35Step 4.4. Notching the muntin bars
- 36Step 4.5. Fixing the muntin bars
- 37Step 4.6. Painting the door and windows
- 38Step 4.7. The acrylic sheet
- 39Step 5.1. Making the base
- 40Step 5.2. Some painting
- 41Step 6.1. Putting it all together
- 42Some strengthening and the door closer
- 43The desired effect
- 44Step 7.1. The rose and ceiling
- 45Making the rose pattern
- 46Marking, drilling, and cutting the rose
- 47Tapering the rose
- 48Painting and fitting the ceiling and rose
- 49The light goes on
- 50The plans
Chapter 7: The ceiling and the night light
The desired effect
This is the picture of the ceiling that I wanted to emulate for my phone box.
I searched various stores for parts that may have helped me to put together a similar ceiling.
I looked in shops that sold plaster, fiberglass, and wood ceiling roses but to no avail.
I even looked in car wheel shops thinking that I may have come across a hubcap with a similar pattern (the rose in the photo reminded me of a hubcap).
Also to no avail.
Once again I ended up making my own.
Step 7.1. The rose and ceiling
The rose is the fancy circle piece that is in the center of the ceiling. The light fitting is fixed to the middle of the rose.
The wood: To make the rose I used two pieces of 1/2″ (12mm) mdf custom board 24′ x 24″ (600mm x 600mm)
One piece was used to cut out the main circle which was 20″ (500mm) diameter. The other piece was used to cut out two circle pieces 6 3/8″ (160mm) diameter and one ring piece 2 1/2″ (55mm) wide with a diameter of 22 3/8″ (570mm).